FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2018)
View Single Post
Old Nov 3, 2018, 4:56 pm
Mamibear

Questions:
1) Is WM still allowing up to 4 swipes per MO?
2) Can you purchase 8x $1000 MO’s at one shot?
3) Do you have to keep total below $1000.00 in 24-hour period to avoid DL request? Or just per each transaction?
4) If I don’t care about being “flagged” what is the current max on a single MO WM allows?
I made experiments today to find out what amount works for me w/o ID check and compared notes with my buddies. My answers to these questions are based on today's results:

1.YES, limit of 4 swipes have not changed in buying MOs. I have switched mostly to loading prepaids where there's no ID check and B/P still works for us, separate accounts on P3 mode.

2. Test purchase made where I bought $999.88 which included the fee and no ID prompt even with the strict associate. I'm surprised that even if it was 12 cents close to $1K, she did not pull up the eMSAR tab (she was probably in a good mood). OR it's also possible she wanted to finish the transaction quickly due to line forming. I stopped at one MO at this store.

3. IME experience today, I can say YES because at store#2, the MSer ahead of me who was attended by another BV ordered one $999.12 which prompted ID check. I bought $999.00 and was not asked for ID; I compared notes with a friend who went to same store which allowed up to $8K in separate transactions ~ she did $1998.24 two times and $2K two times and her info was entered 4 times with a reminder that she can't buy more at any WMs today but can resume tomorrow.

4. Current max face value one can buy with .88 fee remains $1000 except in certain states like AZ ($950 IINM) and there's a state mentioned in the memo, I think it's VA where MOs worth $750 and above, the purchaser's info has to be entered, but they can purchase up to $8K per rolling 24 hrs.

I'll buy more WU at grocery stores now, a few Ks a month MGMO at WM but will continue with B/P, prepaid loading and WMcredcard payment there.