FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Business award downgraded BCN-ORD segment, AA fails to refund equitably
Old Nov 2, 2018, 11:40 am
guv1976
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by edfisher
What do you think about starting a class action lawsuit against American Airlines for failing to properly compensate passengers who are involuntarily downgraded on European flights? EC 261/2004 clearly states that the airline is obligated to refund a percentage of the difference between the class purchased and the class of service flown within 7 days of the flight in question. American uses a formula for refunding miles that is ridiculous. Instead of taking the amount of miles difference between the classes of service on the day the ticket was purchased (which I am sure they could determine), they use the difference on the day of the flight (which of course is always more miles required to fly either class). They have their cake and they are eating it too. They use the elevated mileage requirement for coach on flight day and they take my miles purchase price from 335 days before. They use the best of both mileage requirements to their advantage (no pun intended) and to the passengers disadvantage. No one in AA customer service seems to have ever heard of EC 261/2004 and yet it is a regulation that they must abide by when flying flight to and from European Union countries. I am sure that I am not the only one who has been unfortunate enough to be taken advantage of by the wheels of big business such as AA. I know that there is already a class action lawsuit against AA for erroneously charging for baggage ( of which we are a party). Apparently AA has a habit of not playing by the rules to the detriment of its passengers. Let us not sit idly by and just "take it"
If you're talking about a class-action suit in the U.S., will a U.S. court enforce an EU regulation?