FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TSA screening autistic minor child?
View Single Post
Old Nov 2, 2018, 10:59 am
Blueskyheaven

Originally Posted by jeff191
He can't walk through the scanner with you close behind? Is it that you have to hold him? When my son was younger (3-4) we would have one parent go through the scanner and then he would follow. Only takes a very small amount of time and you're never more than a short distance apart. But my son isn't autistic so don't have any experience there.
He can walk through the scanner after us but what if they tell him to stay right there, raise his hand? He won't stay there and he won't raise his hands! As you know due to his autism and almost non verbal.
Normally, in the door like scanner, you stay in for few secs and you raise your hand , arms right? I don't travel often but I can remember standing in the scanning machine and raising your arms and hand up for few secs.

I think TSA will ask us to walk through first and then go back and carry him thru the scanner with you. They used to allow us to walk in through the scanner with our child. Maybe this time he is almost 5 and it will be like normal, I don't know. I will print the blue card and write his name in it and show them IF they want him to stand in the scanner, raise his hand or wants to touch him.