FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Autumn Road Trip
View Single Post
Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:44 am
jib71

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
It looks okay for a road trip ... but I would find it a bit hectic for a nature-focused trip. I'd suggest making fewer stops and spending an extra day or two hiking in each area. From Kanazawa, for example, you can easily go north to the Noto peninsula or south to Hakusan National Park.

In terms of what to skip - You could look into bookending the trip with flights or trains rather than with driving from Tokyo and back to Tokyo. It's possible to fly Narita-Komatsu (near Kanazawa) for example. No doubt the one-way rental fees and rail/air fares would increase the cost of the trip somewhat, but it relieves you of the less interesting driving, and maximizes your time in the places you want to visit. I'd also skip the Fuji Five Lakes region - I think Lake Motosu and Lake Yamanaka are comparatively unspoiled but still developed compared to some other regions that you're going to. The development around Lake Kawaguchi just gives me a headache. YMMV.

(In Yamanashi, Shosenkyo is probably the famous foliage viewing spot. On peak days, it is exactly as AlwaysAisle described - chock full of cars, and very difficult to find parking).

Last edited by jib71; Nov 2, 2018 at 4:49 pm Reason: Noto peninsula - not "Notoriously pensinsula"