FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why do Elements only earn 1/2 points?
View Single Post
Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:13 am
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Competition!

Because Element is considered an "extended stay" category hotel (like Residence Inn & TownPlace), and many hotel programs give half the points at extended stay hotels as at "regular" hotels. It's not just Marriott, same thing for IHG at Candlewood Suites and StayBridge Suites, same thing for HIlton at Home2 Suites and one or two other brands. (I'm not familiar enough with Hyatt's program to know if they have extended stay brands and if they earn half there too.)

And it's nothing new. This multi-program trend of earning half the points at extended stay hotels has been going for at least two decades. (I have no idea therefore who started it.)

It's just that Starwood used to be an exception to this trend, but now they've merged into Marriott which has long been part of this trend. So if the only program you used to use is Starwood, I can see why it may seem strange to you. Me, I ran into it at IHG and Hitlon years before I ever stayed at any Starwood or Marriott property.
Hyatt has Hyatt House; they earn full points based on spend (and of course full night credit), but fewer welcome amenity points IIRC.

On the Starriott side, Marriott Executive Stay fully furnished and serviced apartments only earn a night credit for every three nights actually stayed.