FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:46 pm
Aussienarelle

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I speak as someone who has been successful with 7/8 GPUs in 2018. Waiting for #8 to come through for a SFO-LHR flight in two weeks. It is a red eye so really hoping it does happen.

Most GPUs did not happen at booking but a few weeks later or at the gate. Although I realize it is frustrating to not know if the upgrade will happen the main reason I want the upgrade is for the ability to sleep on the flight, hence I am okay if the returns from London are in Y, although obviously J is nicer and most welcome.

Accordingly i am not as concerned if the upgrade does not happen until I am at the gate. The only advantage is the Polaris lounge and this is the connecting flight for me so not too concerned as I usually have the MCT - airports are not my favorite place.

I have started my bookings for 2019 and although I would love to book P the fares are ridiculous so I am booking W fares knowing I will make 1K on the LHR flights and start applying the 8 GPUs I will receive. Not sure why the P fares are now so expensive unless it is truly to have a significant gap between Polaris and PP/E+.

i do expect to use all my GPUs in 2019 but unless the P fares come down as I know I will not be making the PQD in 2019 more incentive to book OAL in confirmed J.