FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Moving/Sharing My Business/Loyalty to/with Other Airlines
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:10 pm
SFOPeter

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I went from UA -> AA -> AS as each of the programs degraded / went revenue based. I fly 150K miles/year in discount F/J so it's pretty easy to qualify for MVP75. I am however seriously considering going back to UA. For these reasons:

- As a 1K the 11x on revenue is comparable to AS miles earning. eg a $4000 RT to Europe equals flying BA with AS bonuses.
- UA Every Day F redemptions are 50K and 30% cheaper than virtually all AS F redemptions at 70K.
- There are still plenty of Saver F redemptions for 25K reserved for elites.
- S* network to Europe is far superior, especially for closein J redemptions on LH vs. BA surcharges + paid seat assignment.
- BA now does not let you change discount business tickets - it's cancel and get taxes back only.
- Paid F is generally far cheaper than AS.
- There's a lounge at SFO.
- Massive route network from SFO. eg I need to go to MIA/FLL every couple of months.
- I have a ton of AS miles and I think they will devalue soon and the CX sweet spot will disappear.
- This complete disappearance of U is just ridiculous.

I am however going to stick with AS for 1 more year and see how it goes. Mainly for:

- Nicer people than UA. Yes still, and by far.
- I am snagging an upgrade F fare at purchase time like 50% of the time 1-3 weeks out.
- AA offered me Platinum for flying 12K EQMs which was east to get so I will get free seat assignments on BA for 2019.
- No change/cancel fees is great.

I think for each person the above list varies. In general there is no one really earning your loyalty anymore so people should match and switch to the carrier that offers the best value for the loyalty for that flying pattern. I don't get what's going on at AS because I think they should want people like me, but I guess everyone in this thread is thinking the same thing and we all have different flying patterns.