FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How far in advance do you book rooms?
View Single Post
Old Nov 1, 2018, 10:23 am
wizla

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by BotB
Thanks for the replies so far, seems many book in advance quite a way out on a flexible rate and then see if it improves in price once they are firm on plans.

While I do have a recurring schedule and also know quite well what a good prepay rate is for the hotels in question in that area, I can't always book that lower prepaid rate as I get asked on a regular basis to go visit customers with our sales guys or attend a conference/exhibit at the last minute. Generally it would still work out in the wash with the savings the company would make from the prepaid rates over flex rates for the rest of the year, however I end up getting an earful when even a single prepaid can't be cancelled or moved due to one of these spontaneous visit requests so now I just book flex rates and have no hassle and apparently the company feels better too...the bonus is that the rates are higher so I do end up getting a bit more points but does seem a bit daft really.

Anyway, I'm going to book as far out as I can within my budget on flex rates and lock those 'reasonable' rates in now before they jump up. Curious to see how many stays I'll have afterwards, it won't be 50 but could very well be 30...

Any other thoughts or reasons not to book out as far as possible and then cancel as needed I'm not seeing?

Safe travels.
Mate, I book flex only and I book as soon as I know I'm going to be staying in the area ( normally a gig ) ..... I watch the prices quite closely and if the go down I rebook ( still flex ) ........ when it gets to the day before I sometimes cancel and rebook with the PR discount code ( if my lady is traveling with me ) but mostly I don't bother or am traveling alone.
As for times it's not normally outside 3 months or so but this is just he nature of the music business..