FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Most luxurious African safari accommodations?
Old Oct 30, 2018, 1:39 am
MacMyDay

Originally Posted by Pausanias
I enjoyed reading Macmyday's account of his stay at Bisate. Until I read that everyone expects a tip. Did you really tip people, like guides, waiters, drivers, even Guy the gorilla who groped you???
This is genuinely the list of people that you're expected* to tip: porters, trackers, drivers, guides. I'm pretty sure Guy wasn't actually reaching out for my leg, but sticking his hand out for $5. Seeing that there were up to 10 staff on a hike, you could easily spend $100 in tips and then some. I don't feel so bad tipping in a country where even $5 can help out immensely, but I don't like how the list of those being tipped seemed to endlessly grow.

* They don't specifically state you should, but it's widely expected.

Originally Posted by in4tar
From what I understand, since the rangers decide which group treks which gorilla family, you could ask them to put you on an easier trek...there is no guarantee, but still...I am relatively fit, but do not tolerate altitude well, so I might try to ask them that...
Your driver will go speak to the rangers and try and get you your desired trek. On the first day we were not even asked what we wanted. On the second day, I gave him the following criteria:
  1. If the hike is so difficult that we have to swim across a river filed with starved crocodile, but we get to be alone, then go for it
  2. If you cannot get us alone, make it an easy hike
  3. If all else fails, put us in a group with others from Bisate
He managed #1 and #2