FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Ultimate Flake (AA F; SQ F and Suites; CX/MS/CA/MH/KL/JL J; TK Y)
Old Oct 29, 2018, 10:35 pm
SQTraveller

Originally Posted by dat4life
I’ve been spoiled back home with CLEAR and Pre Check. Rarely do I have any sort of issue with security. But today, my razor cartridge refills sparked a five-minute conversation with the security guys and gals in Jakarta. I never had a problem with bringing those cartridges through security at any airport around the world before, and I haven’t had trouble since. In fact, I bought another set in Singapore and brought it through security in London, Istanbual, Cairo, Phuket, and (drumroll please) Jakarta again later in my trip without issue. I quickly grew tired of arguing, so I offered to abandon the cartidges at the checkpoint. The offer was deemed worthy, and I left without further incident.
Actually this is something I am also very careful of now. For some reason the travel razors (the ones in airplanes and hotels) are ok to have, but the normal razors are not. I'm sure there is a good reason for this

Originally Posted by dat4life
After my third glass of Dom, I began noticing the cabin was getting a little rough around the edges. This plane was delivered brand spanking new to Singapore back in 2005, and it’s actually 5 years younger than the Cathay A330 I flew to Jakarta. But it doesn’t seem like they’ve updated it much since delivery. The leather covering of the seat was worn and had scuffmarks here and there. The carpet was fraying at the edges and ripped in some areas. Overall, the cabin just looked very tired. Of course, this is all normal wear and tear. But it was a little surprising to me that Singapore hasn’t tried to upkeep the cabin a little better. I suppose this might be why 9V-SYL is operating this quick jaunt between Jakarta and Singapore.
I suspect this maybe something to do with the upgrade programme that SQ planes are going through at the moment. I suspect your plane was one of the older B777 300s, which are going to be retired with the arrival of the A350s and 786-10s. My first class flight [you can click here for the flyertalk trip report] last year was on the Boeing 777 300ER and had the new first class.