FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Pre - Board
Thread: Pre - Board
View Single Post
Old Oct 29, 2018, 10:15 pm
Amicus

Originally Posted by ursine1
Regardless of whatever you are "fine with," Southwest's pre-boarding policies are dictated by federal law.
Two questions:

(1) Is it WN that sets policy on HOW the law is applied?
(2) Is WN tasked with reporting their pre-board policy implementation with any one outside of WN?

Asking because of an experience last week.

Was once A+, but now I seldom fly. Was on a WN flight from MDW to LAS (home) There were 14 wheelchairs and 5 or 6 walk on pre-boarders (including me). At MDW, many gates clustered in one area, so limited seating space. Spouse asked OPS Agent where we should stand to wait, I am a walk on pre-board. He directed us to stand right there in front of his desk, as boarding was beginning in a few minutes.

This prompted yelling at us from several pre-boarders who shouted that they were there "first" and we were "cutting the line."
At that point, OPS Agent took our board passes and directed us to board.

When the others boarded, they continued to yell at us. We ignored them and looked at our shoes. Then, wheelchairs boarded next, and they were clearly irate, demanding to know WHY wheelchair pax weren't boarded FIRST.

Supervisor at gate called on plane and stayed on plane till everyone seated, and told Flight Attendant they were "documenting" this.

Then, during the flight, we continued to overhear the disgruntled pre-board folks, who insisted WN should have "made us get off the plane."

So, I'm wondering what, if anything the OPS agent did wrong. Do wheelchairs board first? And, was he required to let folks board 'first come, first served"?

IMO, the preboarders truly believed their "disability" (pins in their knee) trumped everyone else's disability, though none of us took a survey on our health.