FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - GGU question - no U space
View Single Post
Old Oct 29, 2018, 6:55 pm
Flying for Fun

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I meant, 2 different people on different reservations.

If you are waiting for U space, and I am waiting for U space, and only 1 seat is ever released then only one of us is getting a seat, regardless if how good the alerting system is. It's not a latency issue, it's a supply and demand issue.

Having a lower latency system just makes it more likely that the other guy gets screwed instead of you. Which is fine
I am not disagreeing with you here, I am just saying that you may be out of luck if you are strickly relying on an Alert to advise you. U can come and go between the EF checks. ie EF check, no U, no alert sent, some amount of time passes, EF check, no U, no alert sent, .... A lot can happen in that "some amount of time that passes" including the release and application of U space when EF would be none the wiser. If I find U before EF, you are the one out of luck. I will have my upgrade, you will never be alerted.

EF has also alerted me of U availability that was no longer there because "I" found it and took it before receiving the Alert.

It is a good tool, but shouldn't be 100% relied upon. It shouldn't preclude you from doing you own random checks to possibly find that "gem" in that "some amount of time that passes"

I would rather sit in Y with my partner than alone in F without him. Conpanion Certificates and GGUs have been very good for us even with the tighter availability and we secure the upgrades that way. Of course, as leisure travelers, we do have flexibility. I will be 75K through 2020. We will see how things are with a more consistent intergrated pmVX product and assess as appropriate.

James