FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Help a Globalist hang on? HR Maui availability at 20k points, then disappears...
Old Oct 28, 2018, 12:02 pm
yaromac

Programs: HH: Diamond, WofH: Globalist, UA: 1k, Longterm member only post when I have something new to ask/say
Help a Globalist hang on? HR Maui availability at 20k points, then disappears...

Globalist here, trying to hang on to status by the skin of my teeth. Trying for a last minute Christmas trip to Maui. When I search my dates (Dec 24-29) *5 nights*, there's no availability on points (of course). When I use the strategy discussed in this thread and others, of looking for either eight or ten nights (ie padding my dates by 3-5 nights in either direction to get the reservation, with the intention of then calling in to amend the reservation to 5 nights) BOTH HR come up at 20,000 points and Andaz at 25,000 points. However, when I click on either hotel's name, to make the reservation, I get the same no availability message "this hotel is not accepting points for these dates".

Anyone have any tips for this? Or am I just crazy to think I would find any award availability this late in the day and I should be happy I did manage to get 5 nights (on points, also Hilton Diamond) at the Waldorf Astoria and give up the idea of Hyatt Globalist for next year?

Thanks in advance for any insights. I would never have thought to try and book for ten nights and amend it to five nights, if I hadn't read the tips on here about how to get awards for Hyatt on Maui!

Note: I'm not trying to debate the merits of keeping Globalist for 2019 here vs. giving my business to Hilton. I like Hilton. I love Hyatt. I love Globalist. I don't love how hard it is to get there. Just want to know if anyone has any tips for getting these nights on points. Yes, I have looked into paying for the room ($823/night plus tax) but tough given what I just laid out for airfare. First world problems, I know! Happy to be going to Hawaii, following a YOLO philosophy.

Thanks in advance FT-ers, of all crowds, my favorite to source!