FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread
Old Oct 27, 2018, 3:04 pm
eastindywalrus

Programs: DL Skymiles, AF/KL Flying Blue
Well, schedule change isn't complete yet, but I think I had another DTW-LAN flight canceled on an itinerary back from Germany next March. Only other DTW-LAN flight on that day that I can catch (and that DL could switch me to) will get me home many hours later, so I'll be eligible for a change.

Current itinerary is:

Saturday:
FRA-DTW
DTW-LAN

I know that officially, travel days can't change in the free itinerary change permitted with a qualifying schedule change; however, I don't really want to get home any later than I'm already arriving on that Saturday. What are the odds that Delta would allow me to do this instead?

Friday:
FRA-AMS
Overnight in AMS at my expense
Saturday:
AMS-DTW
DTW-LAN

That schedule would allow me to catch the earlier DTW-LAN. If I depart Frankfurt on my original travel day, there is no Skyteam itinerary that gets me to Detroit in time to catch the earlier DTW-LAN flight.

Also, for what it's worth, this does not appear to be a normal itinerary sold by DL or AF/KL - requires a multi-city itinerary for the overnight layover.

Edit: Schedule change completed. DL moved me to the earlier DTW-LAN flight that departs before my prior leg even arrives in DTW, resulting in a broken itinerary. Called DL this evening and asked for the above - was offered to shift my entire itinerary one day earlier. I countered that I wouldn't even be in Frankfurt in time for the departing flight (true). Rep countered with an afternoon departure FRA-AMS-MSP-LAN flight on KL TATL - no thank you. I'll try again tomorrow morning with the good ATL-based reps.

Edit 2: I got impatient, called back. Told my story to the new rep. "Oh, yeah, we can definitely do that for you." He was super happy when I mentioned I had the three flight numbers I wanted. I've never had a itinerary modified and a ticket reissued so quick before. My Comfort+ upgrade on the TATL even saved - I was extremely impressed that I didn't even have to ask about that, and was shocked when I noticed it as I was reviewing the updates to my PNR. HUCA proves successful once again.

Edit 3: Well, days later, I notice my itinerary is now just LAN-DTW - that's it. Appears the rep I spoke with didn't actually reissue the ticket. Called today when I noticed. First girl, bless her heart, didn't have a clue. Kept telling me the KLM flight that was part of my new itinerary didn't exist. HUCA. Second lady immediately sent me to the manual reissue desk, where the woman took care of it. Got me into all the same seats again (low loads on these flights, so temporarily losing my bulkhead C+ seats didn't end in "disaster", if you will), including a call to the KLM desk to get them to get me back into my Economy Comfort seat on the KLM flight. Confirmed I got a correctly reissued ticket and receipt this time, so fingers crossed that this is it.

Last edited by eastindywalrus; Oct 31, 2018 at 3:34 pm