FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Help taking down scam travel agency
View Single Post
Old Oct 26, 2018, 10:13 am
Doppy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Capital One sent the "proof" the merchant gave them, which seems to show this is fraud. The proof consists of an email from my parents authorizing a $1200 airfare, dated 8/11. The merchant said separately in the documentation that it was $800 paid to a consolidator ( this shows up on their statement as being charged directly by United) and $400 to the merchant.

Second, the merchant provided a narrative, which says that my parents called on 8/13, went over options, and confirmed via email that they agreed to the charges. The charges for duplicate tickets and the $400 fee are dated 8/13.

The email was dated two days before this supposed phone call, and after a telephone exchange with the merchant on 8/11 where he said he was cancelling the reservation (and as I noted above, United said it was cancelled), and they booked directly with United. The charges for the tickets booked with United that they flew on show up on their Capital One statement dated 8/11. Why would they have called the agent two days later to make a duplicate reservation?

Capital One seems unwilling to connect the dots or apply basic logic.

Just some further information, the merchant cancelled the duplicate reservation a few weeks later, before the first flight. United is holding value of $800 that can be applied to future travel (they said since the tickets were booked by a travel agency they can't refund them, but will waive the change fee). Meanwhile, the merchant is calling my parents saying he'll cut a deal on the $400 fee and let them use these tickets if they pay him $800.

Last edited by Doppy; Oct 28, 2018 at 8:02 pm Reason: typo