FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares
Old Oct 26, 2018, 10:13 am
FlyingBear

Programs: UA Silver, Southwest A-List, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fly18725
I think the intent is to offer saver fares with slightly better benefits than BE on AA/DL/UA and the ULCCs that everyone is competing with. Why would travelers book elsewhere unless there's a mismatch in fares (e.g. AS saver is the same as DL Y)?
​​​​​​
For SFO flyers, better frequency and route map on WN and UA, and better fare rules on WN. It's not this point alone but the sum of all of the changes that erode the advantages AS had. I, and I suspect others, had to reach a bit to make AS work. The value proposition is not there any more, so the playing field is more level when I select a carrier for a flight.

It is what it is. I suspect they will fill the seats with BE tickets and hope it helps the bottom line, because they do have a good operation and competition is good. But I think for the non-SEA FT crowd, it's time to take a good long look and assess our priorities (time, comfort, convenience, cost, loyalty program) and use what really matters to each individual.

​​​​

Last edited by FlyingBear; Oct 26, 2018 at 12:32 pm Reason: grammar