FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Help taking down scam travel agency
View Single Post
Old Oct 25, 2018, 11:32 pm
Doppy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I'm very curious about this, since the card issuer is responsible for fraud if reported within 30-60 days. Do you mean to say you have told them in no uncertain terms that this is a fraudulent transaction the cardholder didn't authorize, and they are still refusing to void it?
Yes. However, the merchant sent to Capital One an e-mail which allegedly proves that my parents authorized the service fee. I do know that they did send an e-mail authorizing the purchasing of the tickets at the correct fare, but unfortunately they're old and can't find the e-mail, so I haven't seen what else it might say. They said it didn't say anything about a fee. We've asked Capital One to send us the proof, though, in truth, it would be very easy to doctor an e-mail to say anything. Subsequent to this original e-mail exchange the scammer called my parents and said he was canceling the reservation, at which point they said OK, called United and confirmed the reservation had been canceled, and made a new reservation directly with United.

So even if they did authorize the service fee, the company never performed the service, and thus what is the fee for?

Originally Posted by smc333
Have you considered going through their web host or domain registrar? If you've got some evidence that they're doing something wrong and that the wrong thing violates the registrar's or host's TOS you might be able to get them offline for a while with a complaint to the abuse department. It's a long shot and a short-term thing until they manage to get back online, but it might be fun to get their account suspended.
I know there have been a few hate speech groups that got kicked offline this way, but I haven't heard of it happening with a scammer. Probably have a low chance of success, but it's fairly low effort to try.
Their registrar is GoDaddy and their host is Amazon.
Good luck!
I did go to GoDaddy, but hadn't thought of Amazon. I'll try that now. I just got a generic response from GoDaddy saying they would investigate (which I expected, they never give you details in these cases).

Last edited by Doppy; Oct 25, 2018 at 11:59 pm Reason: typo