FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Oct 25, 2018, 1:36 pm
jlemon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
I remember the QF inflght magazines in the mid-late '60s featuring 2 types of its fleet: 707s and Constellations. Don't remember there being Electras. I never saw QF operate anything but 707s between SIN and LHR, and never saw (or noticed) any Constellations in PER and SYD the couple of times I was at either airport in the era. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen a Constellation or Electras (other than ASW derivatives) in real life. I do remember flying a BOAC VC-10 either SIN-PER or PER-SYD..
I still vividly remember my very first scheduled airline flight. It was on board an Electra operated by Pacific Southwest Airlines (PSA) from LAX to SFO. I was ten years old at the time,

And Qantas did indeed operate Electra service over the Indian Ocean between Australia and South Africa at one point. Here's the westbound "Wallaby Route" schedule from the August 1, 1963 QF system timetable...

QF 621: Sydney (SYD) 15:00 - 16:30 Melbourne (MEL) 17:15 - 20:30 Perth (PER) 21:15 - 01:30 Cocos Islands (CCK) 03:00 - 08:30 Mauritius (MRU) 09:00 - 13:00 Johannesburg (JNB)
Freq: Alternating Saturdays (thus once every two weeks)
Equip: "Electra International Mark II"
Service classes: F/Y
Meal service: Main meal MEL-PER, Supper & Main Meal CCK-MRU, Main Meal MRU-JNB
Notes: "Sleeper Chairs - Full length Sleeper Chairs are provided for all First Class passengers on "Wallaby" Route Services. International Traffic only accepted SYD-MEL and v.v.; SYD-PER and v.v.; MEL-PER and v.v."

This same Qantas timetable also included this westbound schedule for South African Airways....

SA 241: Perth (PER) 18:30 - 23:25 Cocos Islands (CCK) 00:25 - 06:55 Mauritius (MRU) 07:55 - 12:10 Johannesburg (JNB)
Freq: Alternating Tuesdays (thus once every two weeks)
Equip: Douglas DC-7B
Service classes: F/Y
Meal service: Main meal PER-CKK & MRU-JNB

Well, I do believe it's time for yet another BONUS quiz item.....

39. In the fall of 1993, only one airline was serving the Cocos Islands (CCK) in the Indian Ocean and it was operating jet service twice a week. Identify this air carrier and the equipment. ANSWERED

Last edited by jlemon; Oct 26, 2018 at 11:56 am