FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upgrade but no TP given
View Single Post
Old Oct 25, 2018, 11:46 am
omk298

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
Originally Posted by ukgooner
It's pretty well known - certainly on here, if you upgrade an Avios ticket it will never earn TPs or even Avios. (unless there has been an error). I wonder if the check in people actually understand the nuances of exec club TP earning however.

I'm not sure you have been mis-sold. Your reason for taking it is quite obscure, and the real value of the upgrade is to get the better service and space, even if you don't particularly value that.

In the circumastances though, I would hope they would comp you an extra year of Silver, so don't give up. Just be clear that this is what you want!
I'd say that that is fairly clear mis-selling - the customer made clear what he wanted, was told the product would perform the role he wanted, paid for it and then found it wouldn't. If he's made clear that he wasn't interested in the upgrade for other reasons then I can't see how they are particularly relevant to whether or not it's mis-selling. Whether mis-selling is relevant/going to result in anything positive is another question entirely.