FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Odd revenue management practices emerging?
Old Oct 25, 2018, 7:03 am
econometrics

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Odd revenue management practices emerging?

Recently, I posted about some strange things I was noticing around a DFW-LHR round trip that I had planned for mid-October. In this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...0#post30334120

Lots of F0, J0, W0 on those flights, and it seemed odd. Sure enough, a ton of J seats released on my flight 48h before departure, showing that AA was withholding those J seats for sale for some reason and striking the flight as J0.

Well, now I have an EXP friend that found a great deal on DFW-MAD for 6 Nov-12 Nov in PE. He booked it and selected his seat. Now he tells me that AA reached out to him and said that flight will not be operated by a plane with PE on it. Strange, as EF and AA.com list it as a 787-9, which most certainly has PE. Even AA.com's seat map for the flight on 6 Nov shows a PE cabin, with only 3/21 seats taken.

EF shows the flight (and many of them +/-3 days) as J0/W0 yet again, and they are not offered for sale on AA.com in J or W.

Anyone have credible insight on this? Very strange to see so many open J and PE seats, but yet see these flights blocked as J0/W0. And even more strange to call pax with a confirmed PE seat and tell them the flight is not operated with a PE cabin, when it clearly is scheduled to be.

EDIT: AA refunded my friend $367, gave him a $300 voucher and let him keep the 1.5EQM. So it was not a heartless bump down to Y.

Last edited by econometrics; Oct 25, 2018 at 7:06 am Reason: Added info