FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Grand Canyon basic questions
View Single Post
Old Oct 24, 2018, 10:31 pm
MarkP24

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by FredT5
OK... A couple things from someone who JUST got back from a week touring the area. First, remember that this area (North OR South rim) can and DOES get snow.... We just got hit with 3" on the south rim (Second week in October) Second. If you are going to spend all that time and money to "do" the grand canyon, why spend all your time driving? We spent 2 nights at El Tovar. Great place. Had lunch one day at Bright Angel next door.. Major step down. Prices were set at 262 a night. Expensive? yes. But to be able to literally walk off the hotel deck and be at the rim? Priceless.

If you are a serious hiker, you are 500' from the trailhead at Bright Angel to get down to the canyon floor. If you are NOT a serious desert hiker, you have close to 5 miles of paved, great paths RIGHT along the rim. (apropiately called the "rim Walk".) Again, right outside the hotel. As long as you stay away from the bus stops, few people, great views. Also, this is at the center of the canyon at one of the deepest and widest points. Again, well worth the trip and money.

Once done with the canyon, THEN take a couple days in Sedona. Great trails, great downtown for shopping...
I appreciate the insight. El Tovar looks amazing. I need to determine if it's right for our family, as I would need 2 rooms....