FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Egencia "special rate" blues. I hate these people
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:49 am
RogerD408
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by TravelTechDoug
This is because while Egencia is charging you that rate they are only paying a portion of it. I ran into this with a stay recently. Advertised at 95 on hotel site and Egencia. Difference was no points through Egencia. When I pulled the reservation through the hotel's app I see Egencia is actually paying 65 per night, but charging us the same damned rate as the hotel. They are a total fraud.
Actually, they are a business and entitled to make a profit. The fact that many of their customers don't bother to dig in to find out the "cost" of doing business with them is the real problem. Too many people expect something for nothing so matching the hotel site appears that is what is happening. You would expect the rate paid to the properties by reward stays or employee rates would be closer to their cost to operate the business yet we all are willing to pay more than that.