FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA will not Short Check bags (but some loopholes)
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:39 pm
BelmontRef

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You are likely being booked as a stop at each city you are doing a service call. Anything over 4 hours on a domestic trip is considered a stop and it would not be short-checking to check to the next stop.
My experience as a former UA employee is that if all of that is booked on one PNR, the pricing module will lump things together for fare purposes even if it’s a long stop. And then how things work at check-in can be totally separate. So for the poster’s ORD-IAH service call IAH-DFW service call DFW-IAH-ORD-HSV, the pricing module may put ORD-IAH-DFW on one through fare. It will definitely break the fare at DFW since the next segment is back to IAH.

At check-in, that piece may consider DFW the destination out of ORD despite the long layover. But it also will break things at DFW due to the return back to IAH.

Years ago, I traveled as an employee on business in one day DCA-ORD-IND meeting IND-DEN-SFO. The layover in IND was over four hours. Despite that, I saw the manifest for ORD-IND and it had me listed as connecting to the IND-DEN flight. No checked bags so how that piece worked I have no idea.