FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - In and Around Tokyo in January
View Single Post
Old Oct 22, 2018, 5:50 pm
kevincrumbs

Programs: Free agent!
My plan on this Sunday was to spend a portion of the day out at Mount Takao. Mount Takao is a pretty popular spot for a daytrip from Tokyo as it is one of the closest places to central Tokyo that one would deem as being a nature spot. My plan was to head there and then head to the top of Mount Takao for some views of the city and of Mount Fuji. Before I headed out for the day, I partook in the hotel's buffet breakfast, which was certainly a cut above the buffet breakfasts I encounter on my business trips back in the US.

Mix of Japanese and Western dishes for breakfast, along with a much needed coffee

Departing Oshiage, which was "my" station during this trip to Tokyo

To head to Takao, I took the train to Asakusabashi, which I regularly did when heading to points to the west of Oshiage. From there, it was onto a Chuo Line train. However, not all Chuo Line trains head all the way to Takao and in my case, I made the change somewhere along the Chuo Line for a train to take me to Takao.

Asakusabashi Station. I transferred at this station everyday of my trip

Takao Station

From Takao, I switched to the Keio Line for one last bit of the journey, which was to end up at Takaosanguchi Station. From Takaosanguchi, it was a quick walk through a small street lined with shops to face my first choice of the day. I could either walk, take the funicular or take a ropeway to the mid-point of Mount Takao. Since my time was limited, I elected against walking and would've preferred the funicular but seeing as this was the first weekend of the year, Mount Takao was packed. The funicular lines were too much for me to bear, so I went with the ropeway.

Hikawa Jinja, located around the corner from Takaosanguchi Station

I bought some dango from a streetside vendor to tide me over for a bit before I ate something more substantial

Long lines for the funicular

The ropeway costs the same as the funicular but is less popular, not to mention that the ropeway station is tucked behind the funicular station, so some folks may not even be aware that it's there. As for myself, I was slightly apprehensive due to heights but even with that factored in, it was still better than waiting in the funicular line. The ropeway journey ended up being quite nice and there was also protective netting underneath for the whole journey so if something happened, one would end up with broken bones instead of death. Good enough for me!

Lining up to board the ropeway

Going up, with the protective netting also in the shot

Since the ropeway and funicular only go halfway up the mountain, one must walk the rest of the way to the top. This involves going through the Takaosan Yakuo-in Buddhist temple complex and ending up at the peak, which has a few eateries and such.

Mid mountain view of Tokyo

Walking toward Takaosan Yakuo-in and passing placards listing various donors to said temple

Shi-ten-no-mon, the entrance to the Yakuo-in Temple

Shops on temple grounds

Lining up in front of Niomon, which lead to the main hall of the temple

Kuromon or "black gate"

Izuna Gongen-do

After passing through the temple complex, there was a bit more to the hike before I ended up at Mount Takao's peak. Of course, it was very crowded up here too but I felt a nice sense of accomplishment and enjoyed the beautiful views of Mount Fuji.

At the top

People everywhere

Spectacular view on such a beautiful winter's day

Heading back down also meant passing through the Yakuo-in temple one more time.

Shoro / Clocktower

To my surprise, there was quite a line at the ropeway station but since I had already purchased a roundtrip ticket, I had no choice but to wait in line.

Waiting to head down on the ropeway

In queue entertainment provided by figurines and pictures related to Studio Ghibli films

Something for the folks who prefer Star Wars

Heading down, which was scarier than going up but it was all fine

Some parts didn't have netting and boy, it would not be fun to roll down this slope

Next to Takaosanguchi Station is an onsen facility owned by Keio, who also owns the train station. The onsen facility was very nice but in keeping with the theme of the day, also extremely crowded. It was very easy to use and purchasing admission was via a vending machine with staff members nearby ready to help. I ended up spending an hour or so there and it was a nice way to relax after some physical activity. After that, I headed back onto the Keio Takao Line for one stop to change to the Chuo Line at Takao and made my way back to central Tokyo.

I don't think I'd head to Mount Takao on my next trip to Japan but I would love to return in the future. It was nice to head out of the city for part of the day and do something that's not super popular with foreign tourists.