FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ: What's a Systemwide Upgrade / SWU / VIP and how to use? (Master thread)
Old Oct 21, 2018, 6:36 pm
WiscAZ

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Just a word of caution. If AA determines the SWU should have been used, they can pull it at any time. I had one gifted to me before I was EXP. Trip went without a hitch. Then two years later, when I earned my own SWUs, my account was showing as one used and only seven available. Digging in found it was related to the gifted SWU that they did not properly pull and expired before it was found. The agent that put my account negative would not hear anything about it being in error. The EXP that gifted the SWU also called to confirm the intent. The EXP desk reversed the -1 and it was immediately reinstated by the first agent I talked to. Fortunately I had connected with a resourceful EXP agent and she merely issued a new SWU and that stuck. Bottom line, document EVERYTHING with dates and names wherever possible and keep it handy. Also keep track of all activity so something doesn't sneak in.

Very valid points and I guess I don't know what the best route is to proceed... I now have 7 SWUs with, 3 expiring in early 2019 and 4 expiring in early 2020. I should really only show 2 expiring in 2019 based on the flight I just took. I guess I just don't want any of my SWUs expiring in 2020 to end up being used for this trip. I suppose next time I book my SWU they will either catch it or it will go unnoticed because that would be the next SWU related activity on the account.