FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Using Google Hangouts with US google voice number in EU
Old Oct 21, 2018, 11:54 am
König

Question Using Google Hangouts with US google voice number in EU

Hello travel experts,

I am going on a 10-day business trip to Germany, France, Spain, Ireland and UK. I read some good reviews about UK EE prepaid plans, so I am probably going to get the one with 5Gb for £15. I won't have to call many European numbers on my trip, so I am thinking to use mainly Google Hangouts with my US Google Voice number to call family back home and receive calls from them at no charge. Here is the main question -- does Google Hangouts with a US GV number work in Europe to make/receive calls to/from the USA? I know that in theory it should work from anywhere in the world as long as I have internet, but maybe Google intentionally limits this service to users who are physically present in the US? If this is indeed the case, then using VPN should be able to circumvent this restriction, correct?

Another question -- I assume with the free EU roaming (since 2017) I should be able to use my UK EE number that will come with the sim to call other EU numbers and receive EU incoming calls for free. Is this correct?

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.