FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA Empowers LHR staff to assist with any travel issue
Old Oct 19, 2018, 8:47 am
binman

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by flatlander
I hope this means the disruption and rebooking experience is a bit more like AA. AA gate agents can reroute you.

So on BA it goes like this
<flatlander runs up to a gate with an aircraft disappearing away>
B: I'm afraid the gate is closed, sorry you've missed the flight.
f: How can I get to destination?
B: I'm afraid you'll have to see my colleagues at the customer service desk, they can help you.
f; that long queue over there?
B: Yes...

AA it goes like:
<flatlander runs up to a gate with an aircraft disappearing away>
A: Gate's closed.
f: How can I get to destination?
A: Give me your boarding pass.
<A take boarding pass, stares at computer, pounds keys intensely for 30 seconds, boarding pass printer runs>
A: Next flight's in 2 hours, leaves from the next gate.
A: Next passenger!

BA gate staff may be a bit more friendly, but the non-nonsense (some might say grumpy...) AA gate staff can actually fix your problem and get you on another flight.

This still leaves the un-empowered, un-trained, un-motivated, over-worked staff at every BA outstation needing more help and tools (and contracted paid hours) to be able to help customers on the return journey. I welcome the idea of more empowered staff at LHR, at least.

... wait, are there any BA flights at London Gatwick? Bueller? Bueller?
That is so true. AA staff are skilled and knowledgeable. BA agents are just supermarket checkout agents in a fancy uniform.

This is simply another "jam tomorrow story from the masters of jam tomorrow stories... multi million pound investment, new equipment, new bedding, new food.....non of it ever appears.