FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Review: So Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom
View Single Post
Old Oct 18, 2018, 2:05 am
Jrichardf

Originally Posted by BotB
Thanks for the feedback everyone and for the kind words re: reviews jrichardf (that is also very much appreciated as I am sure everyone that takes the time to write reviews on FT will agree and appreciate feedback so thanks in the name of all Accor reviewers!)

I have cooled down somewhat since the event and since ranting about it and will try to write the hotel this week with a very (for me at least) brief summary of the issue to let them know and to see what the response is. If I get a response I'll let everyone know (and equally if I don't after a while!)

I do love the hotel design and view from that 18th floor, it would be a shame to have to go elsewhere but I will still look around to see if any new places have come up that can rival this one which it is always good to check out the competition and ensure one is in the best place for one's personal value but also because Vienna is such a thriving city that should be having more than one such modern hotel. I note that a Rosewood chain hotel is planned and will definitely try that when it arrives but there must be other luxury hotels with a minimalist modern design that wants passionate customers (that don't happen to always be in suits or dressed to the 9's).

EDIT: I have previously tried the Hilton's here and reviewed some of those, I've tried the Novotel around the corner (don't need to do that again!) and also the Park Hyatt twice (which I've reviewed on here as well) but none of those have the same modern minimalist design and French flair of the Sofitel.

I have always wondered about the Hotel Topazz and the Do & Co. hotel at the Cathedral and surely there must be a Hundertwasser designed hotel in Vienna?...any others that people can think of (if that is not too far off topic for this thread and as an option for the SO refugees?

Thanks for the comments everyone, safe travels.

BotB
Brilliant. Thanks so much for all that info BotB. Will explore further. Yeah, there's a 3 for 2 on the nights of 26th to 29th Dec, which is why the price is so reasonable, I guess. Unfortunately, it goes right up from 29th onwards. Guess that's the New Years Eve effect!!! But will explore to see if I can stay there, though have a feeling it's just not going to be within our budget. Do you know if high prices would ever come down nearer the time, if they aren't in a sale. Or if during a peak period time such as NYE, they'll just stay around the £300 mark or possibly go higher.

Also, a couple more hotels to check out that I'd forgotten to mention. One is Grand Ferdinand, which looks quite nice, though I've never seen in reality. The other is the Aldstadt, which a couple of people I know have stayed at and loved it. Not particularly modern in design but very chic and lovely. And afternoon tea is included!