FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - IHG hotels lost my loyalty
View Single Post
Old Oct 17, 2018, 2:52 am
1flyer
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Don't just believe one person being incredibly pessimistic.
I wrote that there are downsides to AW. I wouldn't characterize my statements as extremely pessimistic.

Accounts are hacked all the time. Obviously, it's much less problematic if one program account is hacked than when a password safe account, account used for single single sign-on (Google/Facebook/etc)., mail account, or such is hacked. All assuming you follow reasonable security practices (e.g., unique password for every account).

AW is essentially like a password manager. If it's compromised, you're much more exposed, as the attacker can exploit the weakest links.

Nowadays, convenience seems to be king. Some people think about the convenience, but forget about the downsides of giving a lot of aggregated data to one single entity.

And please don't misinterpret me again. For instance, I'm not against password managers and the other tools mentioned per se. I'm just implying I have higher security requirements for them (e.g., two-factor authentification).

There are certainly other simple ways to ensure you are aware of expiring points (e.g., a locally-stored Excel sheet).