FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United 2019 Domestic Network Changes -- 22 new routes, some reductions/deletions
Old Oct 16, 2018, 6:46 pm
Chugach

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by PDXpress
They've got LAX to MFR, RDM, and now EUG. I'm sure they'll get to Oregon's 4th most important airport eventually.
I can actually kind of see the logic. It’s the same reason AS doesn’t fly PDX-DEN.

PDX-LAX has AS, DL, AA, and WN all duking it out. And that doesn’t take in to account additional service to SNA/BUR/ONT/LGB on various airlines.

If I’m UA, flying PDX-LAX doesn’t accomplish anything that PDX-SFO can’t accomplish from a network standpoint. Yeah, UA misses out on some of the O&D but it’s not like the route is underserved. And anyone desperate enough to stay on UA still has the SFO connect option, crappy as that may be.

I am guessing UA and AA have figured out they can charge a premium to EUG/MFR/RDM from LAX/SFO and skim traffic away from AS while avoiding the trashed yields of PDX-LAX.
Originally Posted by PVDProf
What aircraft will they use for EWR-ANC? That's a long flight on a narrow body.
EWR-ANC is not much longer than IAH-ANC, which now has the 737 MAX on it.

I’ve done the 757 on IAH-ANC and ATL-ANC. It’s not a bad ride for that distance. Basically the same as EWR-Europe.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 16, 2018 at 11:13 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member