FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi AA cards: All (Platinum, Gold, Executive; Business) 2018
Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:16 pm
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miles4sheli
I tried to search for this first, but the results came up empty.

I shop for groceries at my Neighborhood Walmart (not a super store). The charges are correctly tagged in the Category as MERCHANDISE - GROCERY STORE. For whatever reason, Citi does not automatically give me 2 miles per dollar on these purchases at Walmart, even though it's tagged in exactly the same category as purchases from other grocery stores. What's more, under the Walmart purchase in my account online is a notation that I will earn 2X miles for grocery store purchases:>)

Every statement cycle, I have to write in and request the miles. They have agreed with me so far (although the first time they said Discount Stores do not earn the miles, I believe it's because for whatever reason the name of the store sometimes will say "super store" Online, even though it is NOT a super Walmart. I had to write that it was only a grocery store, they don't sell clothes, electronics, etc., and they agreed and finally gave me the miles). Sending a SM has worked so far 100% of the time, but the going back and forth is getting old.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks in advance!
Consider yourself lucky that you're able to get it adjusted every time (so far) with some extra effort. Just about all cards that earn extra on grocery (whether all the time or during quarterly bonus offers) say in the T&Cs that they don't give the bonus on grocery departments inside discount or department stores.

If you want to not have to send the SM every time, you may have to buy groceries at a stand-alone grocery store.

Not that many people have the MileUp card yet, so it may be a while before you find someone else who has one and tried using it at a Neighborhood Walmart.

Meanwhile, I've never seen a Walmart that only sells groceries Are you saying that's really what a Neighborhood Walmart is, a simple grocery store with nothing that a mainstream chain grocery store (Kroger family, etc) wouldn't sell? How many of them are there in the country? Perhaps the people who design credit cards at Citi have never seen one?