FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)
Old Oct 15, 2018, 9:40 pm
YYJMSP

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, VSE/MVC Chairman's Club
Angry

Originally Posted by Safti
I have an Ambassador is is one of the top SPG Ambassadors for the past 5 years. While she is amazing in wanting to help like a travel agent, she knows virtually nothing about Marriott and how to navigate the system. I, basically, have to tell her how the system works and who to contact. I'm pretty sure that I would be better off navigating Marriott on my own but she really wants to help. I've learned that the thing she does best is contact hotels for future stays.
You're lucky. I'm having horrible experiences post-merger.

A lot of it sounds like it's problems with the back-end systems not necessarily showing them the same info that we see on the web site (for example, I see rooms online for booking/redemption at a hotel that isn't open yet but obviously well after the opening date, but they see nothing at all), and I suspect some of it is the Marriott-legacy folks not knowing the SPG system and vice-versa.

Has anyone had any luck in getting availability and points redemptions rates for what used to be "Specialty Select" rooms (i.e. non-standard, such as junior or full suites, rooms that allowed more than 2 people in them, etc, all requiring more than the base points) in the SPG system? Either the Marriott-legacy folks don't understand (I swear it sounds like they think I'm asking for a free upgrade months in advance of arrival!) or these items have disappeared from the system and are no longer available as redemption options at SPG properties. I see some Marriott properties have multiple options for redemption (some require more points, some require a co-pay). Perhaps the SPG properties will start showing that too at some point.

I would love it if they could just tell us what they can and can't do, and that would manage expectations on both sides. If they can only interact with what's on the web site, so be it -- I can book rooms myself. If they can only make certain special requests two weeks in advance of arrival, so be it -- I can call the hotels myself.