FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Merits of Marriott Hotels Strike 2018
View Single Post
Old Oct 15, 2018, 9:29 pm
C17PSGR

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Not to take sides in an increasingly bitter and shrill debate, but a main driver behind the Make a Green Choice is undoubtedly to reduce housekeeper hours (coming from someone who uses the program a lot). Housekeepers also have been switched to being assigned to rooms via app where they used to canvas floors, increasing efficiency. These changes do benefit customers, but they also increase profits.

In this environment I’m all for the two parties fighting it out for what they believe is right. I have no issue with Marriott or the union. It is what it is.
Valid points. The practical issue is that MAGC reduces housekeeper hours and the hotels focus on metrics driven housekeeping assignments dividing teams between those dealing with rooms of departing guests vs rooms of guests who are staying which obviously have different metrics.

Still, higher wages can only increase pressure on productivity.

In fairness, I could understand the unions concern regarding job security but the practical issue issue is that even MAGC continues to grow, the reduction in housekeeping hours won't impact any individuals because the reduction of hours overall will be offset by turnover.

Of course, if the SF Marriott Marquis hires fewer housekeepers, then those are few people paying an initiation fee or $66 a month in dues in SF.