FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2018 Marriott/SPG/RC properties in Shanghai
Old Oct 15, 2018, 3:38 pm
lost_in_translation

Programs: Some
St. Regis Jingan - A nice hotel albeit with a few bits of questionable interior design. Booked a Premier Deluxe Room and given a one category upgrade to a rather large Executive Deluxe Room (the staff member on checking in noted that this room is actually bigger than their entry level suite). Quality of finish is very high in the room, welcome fruit plate was a very generous size and the room had a great view on a high floor overlooking Shanghai. Very good quality large towels and bed linen. Find it strange that there is no Bluetooth connection or music system of any kind in a brand new high end hotel. Some bits of the interior design are really very nice (the bar, the lobby) others are a weird pastiche of random European architectural styles that really don't belong together (the pool, the bathrooms). Asked about the club lounge on check in and was told the hotel doesn't have one but there is a happy hour in the bar downstairs from 6.30pm-8pm. The signs for the club lounge are still up in the lifts and I could see the reception of the club was manned from my floor (the Executive Deluxe rooms are on floors above the club lounge with an open interior lobby in the centre looking down on the club floor) but I didn't see anyone go in. Not sure what's going on with that, my card key wouldn't work for the 55th floor where the club is so wonder if it's become a facility for the residential floors above instead.

Service was mixed, mostly very good but a few smaller issues. Turn down service never materialized in the evening, I think because I didn't leave my room until around 6.15pm and had the DND light on, but I would have expected a hotel of this caliber to either put a note under the door or to try again later in the evening. Breakfast was decent but very much catered towards Chinese guests with a limited Western selection (the other guests were 95%+ Chinese so this makes perfect sense and is not a criticism). Had an excellent meal in the hotel's Japanese restaurant. All in all this is a good hotel and I would stay again, but Shanghai has so many excellent new 5 star hotels now I'm not sure if I'll get the chance.