FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - It's official... Apple outgrew me. New iPad Pro discussion.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 4:56 am
Uncle Nonny

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by Boogie711
I'm not kidding at all. I get it - you want to prove you're all techno cool by mocking me. Sure, go ahead. I'm a big boy.

I'm not surprised by the decision to drop the headphone jack - because it's Apple. And Apple are making a mockery out of the "Pro" adjective. Forget using these things for work. Forget being able to use your headphones for both your iPad and the inflight entertainment system. Forget using an iPad to make presentations in a client's office. No no, that's too "professional," clearly.

So if it makes you feel better, Nonny, go ahead and mock me all you want. But in the meantime, I just want a system that WORKS. No, not a system with 14 dongles and added failure points.... just a system that works.

Whoa, hold on there a minute buddy. A few starters:

- I am far from "techno cool". I am not an early adopter, by any means, when it comes to tech stuff. I just started using an iPad myself due to a few apps that make my work a little easier. The iPad I use is about 4-5 years old and is a hand me down from one of my sons. I bought a an Apple on a whim many years ago. I got lucky. It just always seemed to work without much fuss. Sure, there were some lean years when I was shutout from using some software or even hardware. But the programs/peripherals that I did have always worked without much fuss. Apple has had the last laugh there. I'm fortunate enough to work an industry that doesn't dictate what type of machine I use. In fact, more people use and Apple than a PC in my line of work.

-I certainly WAS NOT mocking you. Please lose the self-martyr shtick. I was pointing out, in my OP, that there have been many things on out electronic devices that have gone by the wayside over the years. Mostly connectors, sometimes peripherals. I ask you, what gadget/connector do you currently miss that was on your computer/phone/tablet from 20/10/5 years ago (other than the aforementioned mini stereo jack)? Is it the RJ11? The SCSI? The serial port? The VGA? The serial port? The floppy drive? Do you miss the cords on your phone? the antenna? The dedicated buttons on a flip phone? Most likely you miss none of them because connecting, printing, software installation, and pretty much everything else has gotten easier with the elimination of these headaches. It's an evolution. A dongle is simply temporary measure to ensure we aren't too overwhelmed by the next step.

- My usual runs are full blown TCONS and I keep myself busy reading and listening to podcasts/music or sometimes working. When I do use the IFE, it's only on TPAC/TATL runs. I use a Bluetooth device that plugs right inn and I'm free to recline, incline, stand up to get something from the bin or even use the lav without removing my headphones. Standard Apple earbuds don't stay in my ear unless I ram them in, which is uncomfortable. I use Bose for my flights QC35 when I'm on a plane. They work great with my laptop and my phone. Even have both devices hooked up at the same time. I use Veosport V! that wrap around the ears for working out, mowing the lawn, or just generally tuning the world out. I use each because they just work.

Again, I'm a very simple consumer who doesn't want to look under the hood to get my stuff to work. Apple has always simplified computing for me.