FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ON THE ROAD AGAIN: From Connecticut to Alaska by Road, Rail, Air & Sea (and SE Asia)
Old Oct 14, 2018, 1:10 pm
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by avneeshj
Thanks for the excellent report. I love the way you write and hope we get many more reports from you in the future.
Thanks, avneeshj! I don't know if you'll get "many more" reports, but I'd like to think I'm good for at least another 3-5. Beyond that, we'll see...

Originally Posted by ppwchess
Wow! This makes me feel bad that I didn't take more pictures when I did my British Air First trip this summer. I thought I would look like a geeked out first class newbie (Yes I am), but I definitely enjoyed the lounge experience at JFK! I blew it in Heathrow, going to the wrong lounge. On the return I had one of those "short" layovers where I barely had time go through security, get my VAT refund and get to the gate. 1 1/2 hours is not enough time!
Now I need to hoard miles so I can do a long first flight. JFK to LHR is too short!
When it comes to photographs, I'm a big believer in quality over quantity. You want to talk "geeked out First Class newbie", go and take 80 or so pictures of your flight, and then publish them all in a trip report. To be sure there are people here who appreciate that style, but it more than anything else is what has driven me away from regularly perusing the trip report forum. That said, I hope you do manage a good long international First Class flight (or three) sooner rather than later. I'm sure you'll appreciate the more leisurely ambiance as opposed to those eastbound US to Europe sectors which barely give you time to enjoy a nice meal and catch a quick cat nap. Good luck and happy contrails!

Originally Posted by dat4life
Thank you for another wonderful report, Seat 2A! It's been a good while since I've visited FlyerTalk, and I was through the roof to see another one of your reports. You've inspired me to finish up the one trip report I had outstanding and just maybe crank out another. I might even pull a Seat 2A and not submit until it's finished!
Thanks, dat! You don't waste any time as I see you've just posted a new report. I'll be sure to pop over and have a look!

Originally Posted by pdsuk
What a superb trip report. I have followed your reports for a number of years, enjoying your style of writing and imagining you as a wandering spirit -- that may be completely untrue but it is the image that I have in my mind from many of your reports. I especially love when you recount some of your stories from jetting around the US in the 70s and 80s, my how it was so much more glamorous in those days !!
Thanks, PD! I've always had a wandering spirit from my earliest childhood, and I'm thankful that I grew up in an era when flying was still special enough that we all dressed up for the experience. The service was truly special as was the ambiance given that we were all dressed for the part as opposed to these days when even international First Class sees people wearing track suits, shorts, t-shirts and the like. Times have indeed changed.Thankfully, I've had the good fortune to be able to make most of my dreams come true, as well as the platform to write about many of them here at the Trip Report forum. Add to that an appreciative audience (Friends and family are all way too pragmatic to appreciate anything but the destinations. My writings about getting there in style are of no interest to them) and my total travel package has been pretty darned nice. One dream that still keeps me up and scheming during the day is planning a visit to the Seychelles Islands and the Marquesas Islands. Someday... (Although I sometimes wish I were 40 years older so I could have flown to the Seychelles in First Class aboard a VC10)

Originally Posted by Spymon
I have really enjoyed reading your month of travels over the last few days. The mix of old and new adds a lot of depth and an almost documentary feel to the report that is often missing on many TRs. Added to that some epic train journeys which I always love to read about and then to cap it all off the beautiful shots from the boat - sometimes the image says more than the words, sometimes the words make for beautiful images. The joy of this report is that you have a great habit of knowing when to use words and when to use images. Can't wait to read about your next adventure.
The mix of verbiage and pictures is important to me, especially the use of pictures as a spice rather than the main course. I am honored that my style of reporting is worthy of commentary as elegantly composed and sincere as yours. Thank you, Spymon. ^