FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mileage runs for Flying Blue - best routes?
Old Oct 14, 2018, 4:07 am
Concerto
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Interesting info. I checked that out and it is very much the case. Previously, you could do all sorts of open jaw tickets in Europe, especially with KLM. Now they simply won’t price at KLM at all. Everything gets worse, doesn’t it? Although I admit, ticket prices are at the lowest level I have ever seen them now.

I was clearing out some shelves yesterday and I found some tickets from the early 2000s.
One was my last handwritten paper ticket, on AF starting in Aberdeen in 2003: ABZ-CDG-MRS/MRS-CDG-BRS total cost - GBP300 on the nose.
Another was a KLM double open jaw in 2006: ZRH-AMS-LHR/MAN-AMS-GVA total cost was - CHF414. The last 2 segments were the day after the liquids plot crisis in 2006 and absolutely everything had to go in the hold. Needless to say none of my stuff turned up at GVA, including my house keys.

Of course, prices are different now, especially for the second example. It makes a Business RT price of c. EUR440 on the Moscow route seem not such a bad deal for the distance. And, most importantly, in the old days it didn’t matter whether you were in Economy or Business, the segment count was the same. Now, the XP count is surprisingly accurate, at 3x the XPs of Economy.

Last edited by Concerto; Oct 14, 2018 at 8:59 am Reason: typos