FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - IAH-MAN-IST-TBS/GYD-ALA-TSE-AUH-LAX on SQ, TK, and EY C and KC Y
Old Oct 13, 2018, 9:28 pm
gba

Programs: Alaska MVP, Marriott Lifetime Titanium (United Silver), Hilton Gold
Singapore Air Business Class IAH-MAN

June 9, 2018
Singapore Airlines 15, IAH-MAN
A350-900, 9V-SMS
Depart: 7:10pm
Arrive: 10:10am+1
Duration 9:00
Seat: 19D

We’d flown in to Houston on a red-eye the night before our trans-Atlantic departure and spent much of the day resting and relaxing at the exceedingly convenient and surprising pleasant IAH Marriott. By mid-afternoon we were more than ready to be moving on and were in line at the Singapore Air check-in desk when it opened 3.5 hours before departure. We were quickly invited up to the counter but the agent obviously needed to look up the airport codes in our itinerary before tagging our checked tags all the way to TBS.

Unfortunately, we were a week too early for the IAH Polaris Lounge so we were directed to the United Club and spent the next couple of hours walking around airside and visiting a couple generic United Clubs and an even-less impressive KLM Crown Room via Priority Pass before making our way to the gate at the scheduled boarding time to find most folks already boarded. I quickly snapped a couple of pictures of our A350 before heading down the jetway.

A350 prior to boarding

Loading up for the long journey

We were met at door 2L by several smiling flight attendants and quickly shown the short distance to our seats at the bulkhead in the front of the second business class cabin. Slippers, socks, and the menu for the entire IAH-MAN-SIN journey were at the seat when we arrived and we were quickly offered magazines followed by a choice of water, orange juice, or champagne. As departure time approached, the flight attendants distributed exceedingly hot towels, and took drink orders for after takeoff.

Cabin view on boarding, I wasn't the only photographer on board!

A few minutes before our scheduled departure time, the pilot came on the p.a. to announce that everyone and everything was aboard and that our flight time was expected to be 8:25. Doors closed a few minutes early at 7:05 and 15 minutes later we were airborne.

Drinks and tepid nuts were served quickly once we were in the air. I ordered a sickly-sweet Singapore Sling and settled in for the overnight flight. Many have criticized SQ’s new A350 business class seats due to the awkward foot cubby on most seats, but the bulkhead row had no such restriction and I could comfortably extend my legs in any direction or take advantage of the “leg shelf” on the inside of the seat.

Regular seat with small foot cubby

Bulkhead seat extended leg shelf

Meal orders were taken after the cocktail service was complete. Meal service began with appetizer, bread, and drink refills from a cart about one hour after takeoff. The meal began with an Alaskan king crab and mango salad (there was no choice, and no green salad course). As passengers finished the salad, the appetizer plates were cleared and main courses were delivered individually from the galley

Crab salad and garlic bread

I ordered a chicken stir fry as my entrée and with the addition of some chili sauce (available on request on SQ) it was quite tasty (although, as business class meals go, it was more functional than fancy). Other choices included a salmon filet, beef tournedo, and lamb biryani. As the meal finished, I neglected to take a picture of the lovely apple crumble cake which was served with an excellent cinnamon whipped cream but did enjoy the selection of cheeses shown below which were offered from a cart to complete the meal.

Chicken stir-fry

Brie, Saga Classic Blue, and Manchego Cheese

After washing up, I requested that my bed be made on and one of the flight attendants flipped the seat forward into a lie flat position and offered a thin mattress pad, second pillow, and a decent quality blanket. Flights from the US to western Europe are hardly long enough to enjoy both great service and a good night’s sleep. I managed only about 3 hours of sleep before being woken by the sound of breakfast preparations from the galley approximately 2.5 hours outside of Manchester.

While I was resting, our route of flight and taken us south of DC then over Nantucket and we were just approaching Galway when I awoke. As soon as I was up and moving, I was greeted by name and offered a beverage. I ordered a yummy cappuccino which was followed quickly by a hot towel.

Lights were tuned up in the cabin and breakfast service began in earnest 1:45 before arrival as the galley curtains were opened and carts rolled into the aisle. Tables were set and a choice of coffee and juices was offered, a few minutes later a nice fruit plate was served along with a United-quality croissant.

Breakfast fruit

The breakfast menu mention yogurt, cereal and muesli but I was never offered any (nor was I interested enough to request it), I think due to a simple flight attendant oversight. Breakfast choices included an omelet and waffle but I’ve never been particularly impressed by how well western breakfasts hold up to the challenges of galley ovens so instead opted for seafood noodle soup which hit the spot.

Soup for breakfast!

The pilot came on the p.a. about 45 minutes before landing to wish everyone a good morning and we landed from the west at 9:45am Manchester time a few minutes ahead of schedule. Although many on the flight were continuing onwards to Singapore, we hustled off the plane and towards the airport train station as we had time for a few hours of sightseeing before out connection.