FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tips for Chennai?
View Single Post
Old Oct 13, 2018, 12:16 am
Savage25

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I've never had any reason to visit Chennai, but I've decided to make up for that with a long-weekend visit next month, just for the heck of it.
I've been there 4 times for work and once for a friend's wedding and I really can't find a reason why anyone would want to go there. Which is unusual, since I usually find a good reason to stay over the weekend wherever I travel for work.

Any advice on where to stay? Location and comfort are of course important, but so is price. I know there'll be a wondrous Taj hotel, but on my own dime I'll be happier in 3/4 star place - maybe use points if any of the IHG hotels are well located. Tripadvisor has become a mess of single-poster rave reviews for most hotels.
I usually choose the Taj Coromandel, but that's because its close to work. At INR 6500+28% taxes its good value.
I hear the new IC south of the city is nice, but I've never stayed there.

Any must see places? And must eat places?
No. No.

Finally, is an Uber pick-up easy to negotiate at the airport?
No. One of my colleagues tried to get an Uber last month and the drivers canceled on him a couple of times (apparently they prefer cash payments) and one asked him to walk outside to a main road - and he spoke the local language. The international arrivals is a messy area. I usually get a prepaid taxi from the counter just before exiting the building and that's the most straightforward. You do need INR cash though.