FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 10:01 pm
twkidM3

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by RumPatrol
For the CSR, I think it is 6 and for the CSP it is 12 (or anything requiring an overnight stay) I also believe the baggage delay insurance is 6 hours for both. Both CSR and CSP have a $500 cap per ticket, which is supposed to cover lodging, meal and any items you needed to purchase like a change of clothes, toiletries, etc. In practice, I can't think of many situations where you'd have a delay of less than 12 hours, more than 6, but not overnight that would require lodging or spare items to be purchased.

That's what I thought. Weird how that never gets mentioned. To me, unless your trip is being interrupted at the very beginning, the biggest expense you're going to incur is getting yourself home or wherever you need to be. I've had three trips in my life where I had no choice but to abandon the trip early and get somewhere else, one for work (was able to expense it), two for family emergencies. In all three situations, I only lost a few hundred in pre-paid expenses but I had to pay absurd fare differences to change my ticket or, in the case of needing to get halfway around the world the next day, a whole new one way ticket. That was a painful credit card statement.

Chase's various travel insurances really are great and I do wish Amex matched them, but I also think the benefit of insurances like that for any card are vastly overstated. I personally would never let the amount or type of insurance a credit card offered be a deciding factor. It is so easy to get really good third party travel insurance on a trip by trip basis from any one of like 50 sources that it just isn't something that moves the needle a ton for me. Careful planning goes a long way as well. If I had a huge family and small kids and a family vacation meant $5K in airfare and two hotel rooms for a week, I'd probably change my tune very quickly though.
Hmm. My experience with Chase United Explorer card back in March 2016? I believe that's when there was a major snowstorm during mid March. We booked flights and hotels using that credit card. Our flight was cancelled on Sunday. Being United 1k member, they rebooked us the next day without issues and no additional fees. I had to add additional night at our existing hotel. When I got back, I filed a claim for the additional night hotel, uber for that day we were stuck, dinner, and uber to the airport. We were reimbursed around ~$550 for the interruption.