FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why stay with Cathay Pacific....
View Single Post
Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:43 pm
hphreak

Programs: MPC, OneWorld, 1865 Voyager, Hyatt, Horizon Club
FlyPointyEnd, I absolutely agree. I was on Cathay from the very beginning; my first flight - when I wasn't even a one year old - was on Cathay. I have since (largely) flew Cathay due to its safety, leading products, personal service, all at a good price...etc. In primary school, my whole family flies in Cathay, then school trips in middle and highschool we mainly fly Cathay. Flying to university in the UK three times a year, I flew Cathay, and started flying more in J due to long hauls, where tickets go from HK30k-70k for round trip in LHR. Now, I'm in my first job, just finishing my first year in the working world, still based in Hong Kong, and still love aviation and flying, but there is no doubt that things have declined. All the things you mentioned with the wiping down the seats, checking meals, inspecting seats, cheering the front-staff on and making pleasant conversation with them while I KNOW that the reason they cannot do their jobs is because of management and not them...etc., I, too, am tired of it.

I am consciously making a choice to fly via other destinations now, and in doing so, looking for better fares, with a better product. Note to Cathay, not JUST a better fare. I'm still maintaining my Silver ever since I was 18, and maybe going to Gold, but why should I do that if I can get oneworld Sapphire via JAL by spending HKD20k only on a mileage run, and its LIFETIME (as long as you let them deduct miles...etc to keep it alive and fly once or twice with them a year)... Why should I buy your ticket, get the R fare, then waitlist until the last possible moment for an upgrade using miles, for the SAME PRICE, as buying straight J from Qatar, or Finnair, or SQ, all of which have the same if not better product, at the same or lower price? Why don't we get to have a lifetime status - for some of us who literally flew with you for my whole life baring the first few months of my life?