FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Pier and Wing F lounges
View Single Post
Old Oct 11, 2018, 7:57 pm
rbAA

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
The lounges, F or J are not really worth planning too much around vs. being able to visit the city.
It really depends on where you are coming in from. We frequently have to deal with 9 to 12 hours layovers from the AA LAX-HKG flight to our evening CX HKG-BKK as CX only provides a few seats to AA, at a reasonable price of course, for the earlier codeshares. Going into the city just for the day after the long TPAC even in J can be a pain, plus, it's good to get a shower/bath and nap in one of the cabanas in the Wing FC. The cabana attendants have never rushed us to leave but we don't "overstay" by very much. Though I'm always tempted to just do an overnite, last time used the Regal at the airport which was very good. One of the choices last trip was the 8am HKG-BKK on CX the next day on the new A350 and we received an UPG to PE.

My November trip has a 6 hour layover between my CX BKK-HKG to the AA HKG-LAX so not really enough time to run into the city to do anything plus I have a one night stand in HK on the return, so I plan on doing a lounge crawl. Getting in at about noon, so start at the Wing FC and eat lunch at the Haven, which I still prefer to the Pier FC. Before the 18:55 flight on AA, usually out of the Pier Lounge area gates, I will spend some time at the Pier FC to get a foot massage and a lite dinner so I don't have to eat the airline food, though the steak is usually pretty good on AA out of HKG. In between, some walking and maybe a stop at the Bridge as it's also very good especially for an afternoon snack. With the CX lounges at HKG, it's a bad place for a diet.

One of my favorite day trips into HK is taking the AE to Kowloon, grab the K2 shuttle to the Penisula (or Marco Polo,) and walk to the Star Ferry for the ride over to Central. Depending upon the time, dim sum lunch at Maxim's at City Hall, walk to the Peak tram, if too much of a line, taxi (really not much more than the tram charge,) up to the peak and do the apx 1 hour walk around the island And return.