FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ON THE ROAD AGAIN: From Connecticut to Alaska by Road, Rail, Air & Sea (and SE Asia)
Old Oct 11, 2018, 7:51 am
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
Ahhh, another long awaited piece of art from the internet's favourite trip reporter! This report totally destroyed my productivity for a couple of days, but obviously it was absolutely worth it! Great stuff as always.

Having read every single Seat2A report over here (and the copies that were once posted on a.net too) multiple times over I can certainly recognize a lot of the recycled pictures and paragraphs - but at this scale that's easy to forgive. Over the years these reports have inspired me to do many things, including lots of roadtrips through the American West and a couple of Amtrak long distance trains (in sleepers of course!). Keep up the good work, Elton! There sure is an appreciative readership around here.
Thank you, FlyingFinn! I do hope my reports haven't resulted in any work related discipline for all of you who've burnt the midnight oil reading this tale. And of course you're right on the recycled pictures and paragraphs. I always wondered how many people would notice but when it comes to describing the roomettes or providing pictures of my nth ride on the Zephyr or Starlight, why not? I already have so many pictures from trips on these trains - and good pictures at that - that using them instead allowed me to sit back and enjoy the ride all that much more without worrying about hurrying down to a clean window (or an open vestibule - Shhh - don't tell anyone!) to get a duplicate of pictures I already have.

I can think of no higher compliment (though there are perhaps some equals) than to hear that my trip reports inspired any of my readers to follow in my footsteps, be it along the dusty roads of the American West or the silver rails of our national network. Thank you again for that, FlyingFinn, and I do wish you many future great adventures, be they here in the U.S. or elsewhere on the planet. ^

Originally Posted by lamphs
Two evenings of dinner time reading...PLANES, TRAINS, AND AUTOMOBILES (AND A SHIP)...you covered it all. And thanks for this! You need to at least reach 200 airlines before you stop writing these reports! I have used your reports as references several times. And this now encourages me to attempt additional train travel in SE Asia (I already did KUL to Penang about 4 years ago and I understand that service improved tremendously in 2015.
Thanks so much for these kind words, lamphs! I'd like to think I'll notch my 200th airline flown within the year, though another interesting milestone coming up sooner that might be worthy of a report would be my 2000th flight on a 737. Additionally I'm getting very close to logging my 2 millionth mile aboard a 737.

Finally, please feel free to PM me about any trip reports you've submitted. I'm not a regular at the Trip Report forum (I'm more written word than photo oriented) but honestly - any of you willing to put in the time to read my reports, I'd certainly like to reciprocate in kind. Happy travels! ^

Originally Posted by Mats
So beautiful. The photos of the inside passage and Prince of Wales Island were inspiring. I enjoyed every word.
Thank you, Mats! Every once in a while there's a fare sale between Tucson and Seattle. There are some great boat rides up there - even the shorter ones like the Washington State Ferries cruise from Anacortes through the San Juan Islands over to Victoria Island. Also, Tucson is a lot closer than Tel Aviv. I'll give a heads up should I ever pass through southern Arizona.

Originally Posted by transportprof
Kudos on another engaging chronicle of a memorable journey. As somebody who enjoys both flying and train travel almost as much as you obviously do, I found myself transported to some intriguing places over the (Canadian) Thanksgiving weekend. Please do keep them coming. Even though Aussie trip reports are quite plentiful on FT, I know that you would bring an entirely fresh and delightful perspective to chronicling a journey down under. I've spent a lot more time in Australia than Alaska, but I see plenty of similarities between the two cultures, and I would love to read your insights into such a comparison.
Thanks, TP! I actually got a start on that Aussie adventure with plenty of notes and pictures. I just might cobble together a trip report in the next six months or so.

Originally Posted by Life in Coach
Spectacular trip report Seat 2A! Thanks for sharing your journey with us. Keep 'em coming!
Thanks, LIC! I'm glad you enjoyed it and I hope we'll see more of you up in First Class ^^