FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Strange check-in experience; United’s take on it
Old Oct 10, 2018, 5:28 pm
soxfanndc

Programs: Delta 1MM, Delta SM, United Silver, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
Ok, so we can (nearly) all agree that that OP didn't handle this situation in the most effective/desirable way. Even the OP concedes that and s/he has been beaten up enough on here so I won't pile on to those responses.

I will concede that I work in law enforcement but I will not say in what capacity and for which agency. I HOPE this post can help someone/anyone going forward.

We in law enforcement deal w/ bad people, bad circumstances, and bad situations every day. (we also deal w/ good people, circumstances and situations as well) It's what we sign up for, it's what we are trained in. having said that I recognize that not every person knows how to "interact" w/ law enforcement and that most of the time when you encounter us you are stressed, scared, confused, frustrated, and other myriad emotions. I "get" all of that, I'd still say tho to PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE call 911 and alert us as to what's going on. The caller can ALWAYS remain anonymous if they wish not to be further involved but we are going to have very specific questions for you which affect our response to the situation. Even if you don't know the answer(s) to our questions, we are going to ask you questions to determine the best outcome, how many officers to send, what speed with which to send them, which equipment they will need, etc. Like the previous poster who is an airport police officer, I will not divulge more than that. 'Sometimes a "threat" is not processed as threat, it may be something more or something less. so OP and others PLEASE JUST CALL 911 if you are ever in the same or similar situation, it's what we are here for.

In the end, I'm glad everyone heretofore appears to be safe but PLEASE contact law enforcement either on phone or onsite at the airport.

Last edited by soxfanndc; Oct 10, 2018 at 6:10 pm Reason: for clarification