FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - High EQD Platinum Pro or really-high EQD Platinum?
Old Oct 10, 2018, 3:31 pm
AAir_head

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
...If you're DCA-based, I would stick with AA despite the status issues because of AA's network ex-DCA..I'd rather be a Plat or PPRO on a non-stop in MCE than be a Plat or Diamond with a connection...
Overall, I agree and have generally been more satisfied with AA than others ex-DCA. Lately, though, AA has been working hard to level that playing field; especially since I've dropped to PLT in the year PRO was introduced. I was AA PLT many years ago in the 3-tier system and it was quite a lot better then. MCE pretty much removed any consideration of my going back to UA (for E+) and took (some of) the sting out of AA's 4-tier system. I can't say I have much experience with DL; a flight here and there over the years, but nothing in the past 5 years I can recall at the moment.

Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
...like you, I'm at about $13K EQD right now, but only 78K in MQD, so I'm a bit concerned that my shuttle and ORD flights will probably require a mileage run of sorts in December again this year to maintain EXP...When AA first announced the EQD requirement, I thought that would "trim the fat", but now it seems for many (myself included), it's not the EQD but rather the EQM which presents issues for requalification...Finally, as an EXP, I wouldn't count on upgrades or sticker utilization ex-DCA.
To clarify: I'm PLT now and mulling over whether stretching for PRO is worth it. I'm at $9K EQD now, $3K will post from Aviator Card spend, and I'll wind up in the neigborhood of $14K EQD +/- if I do no more than my current planned travel. For EQM I'm at 58K now and with no additional travel will land on 64K +/-. EQS' are a paltry 32 with only 4 planned segments to go. Not even within shouting distance of EXP (before anyone suggests it, an R/T to Asia is out of the question; Europe would be very hard to fit in as MRs, especially 3-4x by end of year in Y or 2x in J--and discount J isn't looking very discount a the moment anyway).

[edited to add] I also agree re EQM v. EQD. It's actually quite illustrative of two things: 1) how much of what you pay for air travel is actually the "fare" versus "fees" that don't count for EQD, and 2) how hard it can be to hit EQM thresholds even with premium multipliers (and more so with deep discount divisors) if you aren't doing really long-haul travel. Virtually all of my travel is domestic and with segments no longer than mid-con.

Your observation re upgrades ex-DCA as EXP don't fully reflect my experiences, but mine are quite dated now (haven't been EXP since Feb 2017 2018 [edited--I can't believe it's only been 9 mos as PLT; feels like so much longer!]). I can confirm as PLT it's been underwhelming...

Thanks!

Last edited by AAir_head; Oct 13, 2018 at 10:38 am Reason: added to address EQD v.v. EQM; edited for accuracy