FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Westjet launches YYC-CDG, YYC-DUB, upgauges YYC-LGW
Old Oct 10, 2018, 2:46 pm
aerobod

Originally Posted by nave888
I'm surprised that LGW will be one of the first routes, especially out of YYC. I assumed the 763s would be used on more "leisure-oriented" flights without J, and the 789s would be used for more "business oriented" flights. YYC-LHR will have both AC and BA next summer, both of which offer big J cabins, strong alliances, lounges, etc (ie. likely more appealing options to business pax).
Landing slots pairs for LHR are currently about CDN$30m if they can be obtained by convincing another airline to sell them, so it is unlikely WestJet will want to make that investment, as it will add about $30 to every return ticket price if the slot cost is amortised over 10 years. I think 16 Business class seats are able to be sold for business users who's destination is London, as the Gatwick Express to Victoria has quicker Tube connections to the main business areas in London, than the Heathrow Express to Paddington, and the M23 moves better than the M4 if taking a car or limo into central London.