FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Strange check-in experience; United’s take on it
Old Oct 10, 2018, 2:41 pm
threeoh

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Why? The OP should have been more proactive. Would you tweet to XYZ that some terrorist has a portable missile launcher at the airport fence, or would you call 911? Do you run to social media during a crime in progress? I don't, and I hope in the future the OP does the responsible thing, not run to his/her phone and post something.
As mozilla said, hindsight is 20/20. It's easy to gang up here, but we all have been in a position where we think to ourselves, "should I do/say something or not?" and then we make a decision one way or the other and later regret it. I have definitely regretted not calling the cops, and I've also regretting calling the cops. Sounds like OP was hesitating about what was best, took a middle road of tweeting, and now realizes that was not the best choice.

So, OP regrets not saying something to the airport check-in agent or LEO, but was posting here mainly about getting guilt-tripped by UA over the phone, and now is getting guilt-tripped by people on an internet forum. One possible result is that next time they will call 911 right away. Another possible response is they keep their mouth shut to avoid being yelled at.

I will also point out that many police departments do have a text-based system where you can support suspicious activity and crimes. UA twitter doesn't qualify but it's not unreasonable to think you could alert the authorities some way other than a voice call.