FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2 days in Hong Kong - need advice
View Single Post
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:06 am
kathylisbeth

Originally Posted by sh76us
Thread title says it all. I have 2 full days (3 nights) in Hong Kong in the Fall (when the weather should be more manageable). I've read through the guide book and rifled through the zillion options for tours, but I'm overwhelmed by the amount of available info and choices.

Here's my thing: I'm not a big food or drink guy. I eat to live, but don't do food tourism (I just don't care that much what good dim sum tastes like and I can barely taste the difference between a steakhouse steak and one thrown on the barbecue at the pool). I'm also totally not into night life. When I travel, I like to do the early-to-bed-early-to-rise thing. Things are usually less crowded in the morning anyway. I like to see impressive things like historical buildings, views, architecture, etc. I love history and I'm definitely a nature guy, but I'm not a big hiker/sports guy. 1-2 hour walk on the mountain? Sure. 6 hour hike? No thanks. Boat ride? Yes. Canoeing in a lake? Sure. Kayaking on whitewater or Sea? Not so much.

This will be my first time ever in the far east and very possibly my last. I have to go with that in mind, so I want to see what there is to see.

I'm willing to spend a few bucks, but don't want to go crazy. What I mean by that is I'd like to keep the hotel to about $150/night if possible.

I would like to take guided tours (group is fine) as I'll never learn to navigate a new city well enough to really see it in 2 days. Again, I'll spend a couple of hundred bucks on tours, but not much more than that.

All that said, I'm looking for general advice, including things like:

- where to stay
- walking tours of HK Island and.or Kowloon - are they worth it? Which are the best?
- Is a day tour to Lantau worth it?
- Ferry tour to Macau? (sounds like overkill, but remember, I may never be back)
- Any other really good tours out there?

Thanks!!
Dear 'two days in Hong Kong', How was the trip? I have very similar interests so I'd like to know what you did, what you would recommend now, looking back. Thanks!