FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Need to spend $3k to requalify for 1K. Best way for an infrequent J flyer?
Old Oct 9, 2018, 9:54 pm
BThumme

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Need to spend $3k to requalify for 1K. Best way for an infrequent J flyer?

Before people start asking if it’s worth it or not, to me it is.

I’m going to be about $2600 PQD short of requalifying for 1K. I just got a new job that will have lots of travel, but nothing until next calendar year.

The only long haul J I have flown has been AA, but I’m back on the star alliance team for now. I’ve always wanted to try it out, so just wondering what everyone thinks is the best bang for the buck. I want to experience as much as I can on United and perhaps some other *A.

Im based in Detroit, but know there’s a lot of good fares ex-YYZ. Some quick searching end of December had $2900 open jaw fares YYZ to NRT (lots of options) back to DTW or GRR. I could route via EWR on the way out and back via ORD (on UA or NH), that would let me try the Polaris lounge at both locations (if UA way back) and fly the real polaris product EWR-NRT.

I also have two GPUs, so maybe it’s worth trying to fly on LH or ANA and upgrade into first. I’ve always wanted to try Austrian in J as well, maybe Swiss. Maybe through YYZ on the way out for their special lounge? I want to be able to experience just as much when not flying too.

So I guess what I’m really trying to say, is what do you think the best experience I can buy in J for $3,000? I’m not looking for the simplest or easiest - I want to experience as much as I can, as I don’t usually get the opportunity to do. I’d be looking for probably no more then 36 hours in my destination, probably right before Christmas. Thoughts?