FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand
Old Oct 9, 2018, 6:29 pm
eccentricfusion

Originally Posted by enthrop
I somehow missed this initial comment in the bustle of advice. I'm still planning my actual tour itinerary, and think I will hold off on booking the hotel until I figure out where all the sites are. Although I had heard that convenience to BTS will make most of my travel easier, and I think all the hotels being discussed right now have convenient BTS access. We're not quiet into the "party-every-night till we drop," but definitely want to check out the scene at least once (I've seen too many videos on YouTube by now), but mostly interested in FOOD, checking out markets, daily good massages, and cultural items. Think we'll do a day trip to that UNESCO site close by too (forget the name off the top of my head). Also, just for the record, we're heading to Phuket after Bangkok to go scuba diving and just relax on the beach. So we figure we'll work up the sweat in Bangkok, then relax in Phuket. Then heading to Tokyo for a 16-hr layover (on purpose) to eat (Tsukiji!) and shop (the gf loves Yodabashi in Japan), before heading back home (US).

Based on what I've been reading though, I'm definitely leaning towards St. Regis (mostly for the experience since I think I get a pretty good corp rate at it), SGS (because you guys have left me amazed at the experience), and Renaissance (because you guys have painted a picture not quiet like SGS, but it's also $200 cheaper for my total stay, which could then be spent on some amazing food outside the hotel!). I was going to use my points, but think I'll save them for higher priced properties (getting 0.005 cents/point at these hotels!)
Most of the temples that tourists visit are in areas without BTS - the BTS makes getting around the city much easier, but expect to just take a Grab taxi to the temples. It's cheap to catch a taxi to them, so I wouldn't plan a trip around the hotels closest to them. Being close to the BTS makes it easier to get to various night markets and night life. Ayuthaya is probably where you want to take a day trip to. I did that last year (hiring a driver and tour guide to take me around so that I could hit a lot more sites than I could without a private driver) and really enjoyed it. As far as massages, I really like Healthland, they have a few locations around Bangkok and were always great for massage. I got a foot massage every day at the one a few blocks away from the W Bangkok.